Boats & Crews

Tonique (Pip & Julie)

Penny Lane (Keith & Alex)

Ed & Geoff (Anna Louise)

Steve (Samba)

Seven TBA friends get together to cruise towards the west

Six of the group of friends met in Dartmouth on Sat 30th June with no planned destination, so a planning meeting was held while enjoying a cooked breakfast at the Cafe in the Park. The group decided to head west and depending on sea & wind conditions to see where it would take us to.


Three boats left on the Saturday lunchtime to sail to the Yealm, leaving Steve in Samba who had just sailed back from Brittany and the Channel Islands to catch us up on Sunday in Fowey as he was playing in the Samba band on Sat eve in Plymouth.

The cruising friends

We anchored in the small bay (Misery) just over the sand bar at the entrance to the river Yealm sheltering from a breezy easterly wind.

At anchor in Misery Bay outside the river Yealm 

Sunday morning we left for Fowey. The sailing boats all enjoyed a good sail with the motorboat arranging the mooring on a pontoon after arriving.

Steve caught up with us and managed to moor up late evening and was fairly shattered after two weeks sailing abroad and back.


Every evening we would all meet up to discuss what out plans, timings and arrangements would be for the next day. It was decided going onto Falmouth for the Monday. The sea conditions were good but the wind variable for those sailing.

Entering Fowey

Three generations of Lifeboats in Fowey

Penny Lane leaving Fowey

Arriving in Falmouth we found the marina was packed full so we went across to St Mawes and anchored in the bay. We spent the evening relaxing and chatting to make arrangement for the Tuesday.  So next day we went up river to a very quiet pontoon just off Tregothnan Deer Park. We had planned on a BBQ here but unfortunately a heavy rain shower made this impossible. We all sat round with a glass of vin while watching England take those nail biting penalties. So the peace was shattered when England won. On waking up the following morning (Wednesday) the sun was again up and hot to eat breakfast by.


So where now? go south, south west, to the Helford River. The sea was tide over wind so leaving the vast harbour of Falmouth, was a bit lumpy. The wind gave the sailors a great sail and were not far behind the motorboat (Tonique) to moor up on visitor moorings.

Although Penny Lane had been to here before we all thought that this spot was a very tranquil and a most beautiful location. We tried to go up 'Frenchmen's Creek' in our dingy's but the dropping tide was against us so we abandoned this effort. Later that evening we spent a most enjoyable time eating at the Helford River Sailing Club. A great clubhouse in an original Scandinavian design. A very tasty meal and the club made us extremely welcome.

Helford River Sailing Club

Pannage Passage

So where next? Back past Falmouth into Fowey for the second time. Every evening we had a social get together and discussed ou plans. Early next day (Friday) we set of to Cawsands just on the western side of the entrance to Plymouth Sound.

The wind was good and sea smooth so both the sailors and motorboat it was a most enjoyable trip. We anchored off the beach and soon were ashore to enjoy a well deserved ice cream after a very hot journey.

After a gorgeous sunset we spent a very peaceful night.

Steve on Samba heading to Fowey

Cawsands anchoring

Leaving Cawsands early on Saturday morning to ensure that we reached Salcombe in good time to all huddle round Keith's Ipad to watch England play that afternoon. When England won a huge roar went up from the pontoon and then in the background from the many Salcombe pubs. 

Leaving Salcome Sunday morning to return back home

Finally our home port is in sight

The weather for the week was dry, very hot especially at night with clear visibility and ideal sea conditions for both motoring & sailing.

A fantastic cruise with a some great sailor friends making it a most relaxing friendly and fun trip.